Monday, February 23, 2015

Wolf Sketch


After work, usually around 4:30, I like to treat myself to a quick sketch before going home. It's a nice way to wind down and have some fun. Lately, I've been drawing all my roughs (for work) on the computer using a program called Sketchbook Pro. It saves time and if there's a revision, it's easier to make an edit on the computer rather than redraw something from scratch. So getting back to the real sketchbook and holding an actual pen or paint brush feels really good!

This drawing took about 30 minutes. I really enjoy the spontaneity that comes from working fast.When I give myself a time limit I'm usually trying to put down as much information as I can and so the analytical part of the brain shuts down giving unexpected results. It's fun!

Wolf Portrait
Ink Brush, Colored Pencil and White Out on Toned Cardstock

2 comments:

Natalie Farrell said...

I love this. I've been working on sketching at least something for a quick 30 minutes, each day, myself. It helps to keep the inspiration alive, and is fun to see what can happen when you work fast - less worry in perfections and allowing the art and your imagination to flow nicely with the pencil and paper. Hope that makes sense. All in all, great work as always. Wolves are one of my favorite animals. I also see you created a fox in another post. LOVE foxes!

Taylor S Smith said...

Hey Natalie,
I totally understand what you mean about worrying less and just "going for it" in the quick sketches. It feels really good when you have those happy accidents. :)

Thank you for the kind words. Thank you also for sharing your inspirational sketches on Facebook.